The Morning After….
And so, it happened again. You swore to yourself that the last time would be the final time. You know how you feel afterwards. You feel empty, embarrassed, full of shame..and that hangover!
So here it is, the morning after.
Your belly hurts. Your head is foggy.
Memories of last night still linger.
It all started a few weeks back. You gave yourself the pep talk when you started seeing the signs in stores.
You told yourself to hold out. After October 31, it was out of sight and out of mind..
But, it sure was a decadent end.
Now here you are with that sugar hangover….
It’s not the end of the world. You might feel sick now, but trust that it needs to work its way of your body.
The emotional component might linger longer than the physical.
You find yourself in that vicious cycle of negative self-talk. You feel ashamed that you gave in so easy to that bowl full of sweets.
So what now?
First things first, beauty.
You are going to stand up, roll your shoulders back and strut your way into your kitchen.
Once there, you are going to fix yourself a cup of warm water with a shot of apple cider vinegar and a slice of fresh lemon. You are going to serve it in the prettiest mug you can find. Love up that liver of yours as you sip your tea.
Then, you are going to fix yourself the most nourishing breakfast you can craft together. It’s going to be full of healthy fats like avocado and eggs (use the yolk, baby). It’s going to have dark leafy greens mixed into it. Then you are going to sit down and enjoy it.
Throughout the day, continue to sip warm water with lemon to support digestion.
Need some extra support here? Add a teaspoon of fresh, minced ginger. You can also explore digestive enzymes that can ease distress. Here is of my favorite brands: http://www.pharmaca.com/renew-life-digestmore-ultra-45-vcaps.
Continue to nourish your body with protein-rich foods. Enjoy a hearty and colorful salad topped with your favorite type of wild fish or organic meat. Add a heaping spoonful of sauerkraut or kimchi to give your digestive tract more love.
Finish the day with a blood sugar balancing and mineral rich soup. Here is a recipe for you. Here is a recipe for you.
Vibrant Body Tonic Soup
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or other gluten free option such as amaranth or rice
- 1 small leek, sliced into thin crescents
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup turnips, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons gluten free miso, or to taste
- ¼ cup parsley or cilantro, finely minced
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté leek, turnips, carrots, ginger root and garlic in olive oil until vegetables are tender.
- Add water or stock and bring to a boil. Add mushrooms.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Remove a cup of soup broth and dilute miso into it.
- Then, add to soup.
- Turn off heat and add parsley to soup.
- Cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa or other grain to soup bowl and top with soup.
Need some ideas for teas?
My favorites include Traditional Medicinals Turmeric Ginger, Belly Comfort or Ginger Aid
Remember, it’s a new day.. Forgive and nourish yourself deeply today.