Summer Solstice is the midpoint of the year; a time that we acknowledge and celebrate the longest hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the longest hours of darkness in the southern hemisphere. This is a symbolic time of contrast between the light and dark, the ebb and flow and everything in between.
The Solstice is celebrated globally in many different ways including:
- Solstice Fires in Tyrol, Austria. This is an Alpine tradition where mountain fires were ignited to worship the earth. This tradition dates back to medieval times.
- Solstice Salutations in Times Square. This is a day-long devotion to yoga practice which is open to every level.
- Mount Olympus Trek in Greece. According to some versions of the Greek Calendar, the Summer Solstice marks the first day of the year. To date, thousands of locals trek up Mount Olympus. This has been a 2500 year old tradition.
- Stonehenge, England. On the dawn of the Solstice, the sun rises directly above the Heel Stone of Stonehenge. Nearly 40,000 spectators gather to dance, drum and celebrate this day.
The Summer Solstice is a powerful time for reflection and vision setting. We are all familiar with the end of year reflection and new year resolutions/soulutions.
What about creating a midyear practice as well? So much living, lessons and blessings transpire over the course of six months…
What was happening in your life during January?
What has presented itself to you since then?
What has seen its time and fallen away?
It’s not always pleasant and it’s not always pretty to reflect. Beauty, I can promise you it is powerful and empowering. Reflection creates a sense of illuminated resilience that can transform into powerful creation.
After you spend some reflecting on the previous six months, now it’s time to begin calling forth a clearer vision for your second half of the year.
What do you want to invite into your life before the end of the year?
How do you want to feel at the end of the year?
What is your spirit calling to bring to life?
Now, close your eyes and take a deep breathe in and exhale. Feel it, see it, embrace it. Trust in the timing and trust in your worth of receiving all that you need and deserve.
I want to share some tools to enhance your Summer Solstice experience:
- Sip a cup of chamomile tea. Chamomile soothes the spirit and invites prosperity and love into your realm.
- Place an orange or tangerine outside to soak up the sun’s energy during the day, then enjoy eating it during your ritual
- Buy yourself a bouquet of yellow or orange flowers to connect with your solar plexus ‘center of empowerment’
- Immerse yourself in water. Soak, swim, float.
- Ignite your inner fire. Light a candle and gaze at the flame. Infuse the flame with your intentions.
Cheers to celebrating and honoring all of who you are!