Memorial Day Weekend is finally upon us! It was a long winter, and now it's time to celebrate welcoming the summer and warm weather.
I want to share some of my favorite simple tools to flow through the weekend with ease and energy!
HYDRATE WITH VITAMINS AND MINERALS
· Get the juices flowing by starting your day with a cup of warm water and fresh squeezed lemon juice
· Tote along a glass water bottle filled with filtered water and fresh lemon slices wherever your days lead you. Add a pinch of electrolyte powder to keep your cells hydrated and replenished.
· Coconut water is great because it contains electrolytes, which helps with dehydration. My favorite brands are Harmless Harvest & Taste Nirvana
· Add a packet of freeze-dried green powder like Green Vibrance or Blue Green Algae for an added boost of nourishment and probiotics to inhibit bloating and get the skin glowing.
· Celebrate with a mocktail made with mineral water, fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and lime. Cheers to a happy liver!
· Snack on veggies like celery and cucumbers which support sodium/potassium balance in the body, and create a goddess glow… My favorite morning drink is a fresh juice of celery, cucumber, lemon, a pinch of ginger and small slice of green apple. It has become my daily ritual to love up my body with this nourishing blend.
Protect your Skin
· Use sunscreen to protect yourself from aging effects and cancers in skin due to UV exposure.
· Opt for products that do not contain harmful chemicals that may cause accelerated damage to skin long-term and subsequently weaken internal tissues and organs.
· My favorite pick that I use all summer long: Good Hue ☀️ Protection. This is a nourishing blend of Coconut oil. Zinc oxide, Raspberry seed oil, Carrot seed oil, Vitamin E, Cape Chamomile and Lavender. This sunscreen is all natural. Most sunscreens contain chemicals harmful to ocean life and reefs. Its estimated that “over 5 thousands metric tons of sunscreen wash off of swimmers each year”, now called swimmer pollution. I wear it all day long, and after showering my skin feels hydrated unlike many other products that leave you feeling dry and dehydrated.
-Astaxanthin! My favorite skin health supplement! Astaxanthin is a type of carotenoid which is the pigment that creates vibrant red-orange color to foods like salmon, lobster and algae. t is an antioxidant, so it naturally reduces free radicals in the body. It also significantly reduces the oxidative load in the body by protecting the cells against oxidation. It offers many health benefits including:
Eye Health – The structure of astaxanthin is similar to other antioxidants: lutein and zeaxanthin. But it actually has a stronger antioxidant activity and UV-light protection effect, both of which point to it being an excellent supplement for eye health maintenance.
Skin Health – Astaxanthin has been shown to help improve skin moisture levels, elasticity, and smoothness while reducing wrinkles, freckles, and spots.
Astaxanthin's antioxidant properties have also been shown to help improve heart heath, cellular health, and the body's immune system.
Move your Body
· Get your body moving and grooving this weekend!
· Beach Yoga Season begins this weekend in Bay Head! Join us on Howe Street 8-9am Saturday and Sunday and a special Memorial Day bonus on Monday morning!!
· Turn on your favorite tunes and dance. Celebrate!
· Take a barefoot stroll on the beach.
· Go for a bike ride.
- While the BBQ’s kick into full swing this weekend, steer clear of gluten containing inflammatory foods such as hotdog and hamburger buns.
- Enjoy your dishes over greens inside. This will boost your fiber intake and inhibit the bloated feeling you can experience after consuming gluten. Raw food is skin food.
Grill with Clean Meats
· Opt for meats that do not contain hormones and antibiotics. Ideally grass-fed and organic.
· When cows are raised conventionally, they are typically fed grains and corn feed (they normally eat grass, and cannot digest corn), and as a result, are injected with hormones. These hormones are then passed on to those who eat the meats. This becomes a problem because it can throw our hormones into a tailspin, as we see a prevalence of estrogen dominance in both women and men.
· When we consume meats that have been injected with hormones and antibiotics, it can also put a strain on our own digestive systems.
Indulge with the Sense of Nourishment and Pleasure
· Listen to your body.
· Add a glass of water after every alcoholic drink. Your body dilutes the toxins of alcohol with water. The water comes from your tissues or water you drink… Hence the dehydration that can happen with alcohol. Hydrate, babe!
· Make activated charcoal your after-party. Wash her down with a glass of water. Activated charcoal can help counteract ingested poisons and enhance digestion health as it stays in the digestive tract. It is a highly absorbent material composed of tiny pores that capture, bind, and remove toxins.
· Overeating (and drinking) not only causes major inflammation in your digestive system which can lead to breakouts, but it’s really taxing on your body and mind. But, the reality is that it happens… Don’t beat yourself up and release the shame. Embrace the experience and then love and nourish your body up.
· Catch up on your zzz’s and let your mind restore itself. Your body does much of its detoxification while you’re asleep. It is the time your body uses to repair damaged tissue and flush out toxins you’ve been exposed to throughout the day.
· Gaia Adrenal Health Nightly Restore helps maintain the body’s systems that support a healthy response to stress. It has a proprietary blend of herbs including Ashwagandha which helps to promote normal sleep patterns and supports healthy endocrine and immune systems. Magnolia bark calms occasional nervousness and supports sleep. Lemon Balm show promise in research studies in promoting a sense of calm in the body.
· Take care of your lymphatic system. Nourish your girls. My favorite tool to support the girls at night is Sentinel Breast Crème. This is a detoxing blend of herbs, nut butters, seeds and essential oils to stimulate lymphatic drainage, support the dissolving and flushing of aluminum salts and calcium deposits stored in breast tissue. This is an overnight application used when the body maximizes its natural detoxifying rhythms.