For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk (BPA free))
- 1 tablespoon tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Base of dish:
- 1 lb. assorted veggies of choice (I love carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato and turnip)
- 1 cup quinoa or grain of choice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 avocado, chopped
**Serves 2-4 and is delicious for dinner and lunch the next day
- Combine the quinoa or grain and water in a small saucepan over medium heat with coconut oil and salt, and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, allowing the quinoa to cook for 15 minutes while you work on the curry sauce.
- In the meantime, melt the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat, and saute the onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the coconut milk, curry powder, tamari and salt and mix well to combine.
- Taste and adjust spices as needed, then bring the sauce to a simmer. Add the veggies and turn heat to medium. Cover the pan, and allow the vegetables to soften, until fork-tender.
- Place grain in bowls, add curried veggies then garnish with avocado.
- 3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 turnips, quartered
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (2 pound) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- Handful of fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, sage
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
**Makes 2-4 servings
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and the salt, stir to combine, and cover with a lid.
- Cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 15-20 minutes total.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the broth, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are fork tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add fresh herbs and stir to combine. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
This smoothie is loaded with essential fatty acids, magnesium to help nourish the nervous system, it’s loaded with iron and antioxidants. Cacao is known as the #1 superfood (cacao is unprocessed cocoa) and can help boost the mood. It’s a great energizer for the morning or pick-me-up in the afternoon.
- 1 cup water, coconut water or coconut milk
- 1 banana (frozen or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao (raw cocoa powder)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- dash of cinnamon and cardamom
- handful of ice
Blend all ingredients until smooth; serve cold.